SLR’s Professional Education Workshops
Over the years we have been committed to sharing the latest in senior living industry knowledge and research with the thousands of professional colleagues we work with. Beyond our own Brain Healthy Cooking and Dementia Friendly Communities continuing education programs, we’ve developed a robust portfolio of CEU lectures led by area experts. We’ve connected thousands of CNAs, Social Workers, Nurses, Emergency Services Professionals and many other elder care professionals to specifically tailored continuing education programs from Elder Law Attorneys, Alzheimer’s Researchers, Social Security Experts, Veteran’s Benefits Consultants, Nutritionists, Fitness Coaches, and more. Sign up for our newsletter below to stay informed of upcoming programs in your area.
Professional Dementia Trainings
The outward signs of memory impairment in the elderly are frequently missed by family members as well as strangers, or misinterpreted as psychiatric illness. The social stigma attached to memory loss, “dementia”, causes most elders to avoid admitting to it or asking for help. In order to combat the stigma, we offer two CEU programs related to Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
The Dementia Experience
This 1.5 hour program allows participants to experience the challenges facing a person living with dementia and encourages discussion about the stigma of dementia and how it impacts communities, families and individuals.
- Describe the challenges facing a person living with dementia, their family and carers
- Explain the impact dementia has on daily life, particularly how it affects nutrition, medication safety, and financial security
- Describe the loss that one with dementia experiences and how it contributes additional stress and frustration
Understanding Dementia in the Real World
This 1 hour program provides an overview of what dementia is and is not, and teaches practical tools to assist with communicating with those who have dementia, as well as their families and care partners.
- Express a clear understanding of dementia, its causes and the stigma that affects the individuals living with dementia
- Practice positive and appropriate communication approaches for working with people with dementia
- Identify practical tools and techniques to support people with dementia and their families
Brain Healthy Eating Series
There’s so much buzz in the industry about brain healthy nutrition. Senior Living Residences is proud to be at the forefront of the discussion. In 2006 SLR became the first assisted living company in the nation to implement a specialized diet, based on research, incorporating brain healthy foods and spices into everyday meals to improve overall brain health. As a leader in Alzheimer’s Care with an expertise in Brain Healthy Cooking, we consider it a responsibility to advocate on the issue of brain healthy cooking and eating for everyone.
Boost Your Brain Health By Eating Well
Hear the benefits of making more healthful and mindful food choices and learn how to cook “brain healthy” at home! The course also discusses the science behind the Mediterranean Diet.
- Describe the scientific connection between diet and cognitive health
- Recall elements of a brain healthy diet and the impact on overall health
- Debunk the latest food trends that are not supported by research
Brain Healthy Cooking for One
In this 1 hour program, participants will discover why you should cook Brain Healthy for every meal and then we will show you how to do it!
Senior Living Residences’ chefs demonstrate how to cook easy, replicable and tasty Mediterranean-style meals from a short list of cost-effective brain-healthy ingredients, helping you eat nutritiously, reduce food waste and stretch your shopping budget when cooking for one!
Recognizing & Responding to Senior Bullying
Get Out of My Seat, You Can’t Sit There!
This 1 hour workshop explores the psycho-social aspects of bullying taking an in-depth look at the bullying of seniors. Through discussion, case studies and role playing, participants consider positive interventions that can be employed to create “people friendly” environments for seniors.
- What Does Bullying Look Like?
- How to Stop Bullying When You See It
- “People Friendly” Programming Ideas, Training Programs and more!
Senior Living Residences offers a free e-book filled with Brain Healthy Cooking tips and recipes! Download our Cooking for One E-book >>