“My 2-week Respite Stay was integral to my speedy recovery.”
*To protect privacy, names and photos are not actual.
Subacute Transitional Stay in Assisted Living Speeds Recovery
While Nancy’s son Jason was renovating his home to build an in-law apartment for her, Nancy fell and broke a bone in her hip. She went to a rehabilitation facility for initial treatment and from there moved into Cornerstone at Milford, a Senior Living Residences Community, for a two-week respite stay.
Nancy’s family appreciated that there was no minimum length of stay required, so she could return home as soon as the construction was complete and her apartment was ready for her. Most Assisted Living Communities require someone to stay for at least 30 days.
Follow-up Therapeutic Services Coordinated by Cornerstone
It was the discharge planner at the rehab facility who pointed Nancy and her family to Cornerstone, explaining that it would be a good place to recuperate and continue her recovery with lots of supportive services and professional oversight.
The team at Cornerstone worked seamlessly with the rehab facility to get Nancy discharged directly to a fully furnished private apartment. The discharge planner shared Nancy’s post-rehab plan with the Cornerstone team so that their Wellness Nurses could coordinate her out-patient follow-up visits from a local Visiting Nurse Agency to provide PT and OT therapeutic services. The Wellness Nurses tracked Nancy’s recovery, and maintained communication with her family throughout her stay.
Nancy also took full advantage of all the services and amenities available to permanent residents (which were included in her daily respite fee), including personal care assistance with bathing, dressing and managing her medications, three healthy meals daily, and opportunities to socialize with other residents doing interesting activities and outings. Although her family took her to her followup doctor visits, she could have used the community’s scheduled van transportation to get to local medical office buildings for her appointments.
Patient Convinced Her Assisted Living Respite Hastened Recuperation
Nancy had surgeries previous to this one, all with lengthy recoveries. This time, she was surprised at how quickly she recuperated and was ready to be on her own again safely. She said, “I know it’s because of Cornerstone.” Her family agreed, pointing to the support of care staff that was available 24/7, even for Nancy’s unscheduled needs.
Nancy said she wanted to share her story so more people know about the option of a respite stay in assisted living, as it was integral to her speedy recovery.
Just Like A Friendly 5-Star Hotel
Nancy’s family viewed Cornerstone as a “5-star hotel” with all of the amenities Mom could ever need. From Nancy’s point of view, she very quickly felt at home. “The staff were so kind, everyone smiled at me,” she said.
* Names have been changed to protect individuals’ identities.
What’s included in a short-term respite stay?
- A fully furnished apartment with a 24-hour emergency response system, in-room internet, cableTV and phone
- The highest quality service during your stay with us, based on a customized Wellness Care Plan for your loved one’s personal needs and preferences
- Weekly housekeeping, daily bed making, and laundry services
- Two to three meals daily with menu choices from our award-winning Brain Healthy Cooking Program, served restaurant-style in our Dining Room, or with tray service to your loved one’s apartment when he or she isn’t feeling well
- Medication reminders and personal care assistance with dressing, bathing, evening care, and more
- Responsive 24-hour awake staff and overnight safety checks, as needed
- Access to all of our community’s amenities and EnrichedLIFE programs encompassing social, cultural, educational and wellness activities
- Access to all of our Compass Memory Support treatment programming, as needed. Learn more about Compass Memory Support
- Access to all of our ConnectedLIFE programming specifically designed for residents with early symptoms of memory loss, as needed. Learn more about ConnectedLIFE