Dr. Barker could no longer live safely at home alone…
*To protect privacy, names and photos are not actual.
Dr. Barker’s Story
A Seamless Transition from Rehab to Assisted Living Gave Dr. Barker the Personalized Follow-Up Care He Needed
Dr. Edward Barker* was living at home alone coping with hydrocephalus and bi-polar depression. His daughter Jackie was worried about her father’s declining health and the safety risks he faced living alone. His hydrocephalus diagnosis left him with balance and memory issues. Constant isolation was devastating to his bi-polar depression. Managing his own medications was becoming dangerous. Jackie knew something needed to change.
To help manage the hydrocephalus, Dr. Barker underwent surgery to have a shunt implanted. Post-surgery, he was sent for a short-term stay at a local rehab center for recovery. Knowing that her father could no longer live at home safely and needing more care to treat his diagnosis, she decided that moving her father to an assisted living community would be the best next step.
A Seamless Transition
Jackie discovered a Senior Living Residences community where she moved her father in on a short-term trial basis before making a final decision. Jackie was impressed with the care staff’s ability to immediately act as her father’s case manager, meeting with the rehab’s nursing staff to coordinate all of Dr. Barker’s post-discharge care and visits. Dr. Barker was given a same day assessment to ensure that he had immediate placement at the community, resulting in a seamless transition from rehab to his new home, (a fully furnished private apartment awaiting his arrival).
A Focus on Treating the Symptoms
The community’s staff worked together to ensure Dr. Barker’s successful transition to the community. He was enrolled in a medication program (SAMM) to help with self-management of his medications. Appointments with a local PT specialist were set up for him to continue to improve his balance. And, he was able to take advantage of the community’s courtesy transportation to weekly doctor’s appointments to continue to treat his bi-polar depression.
Dr. Barker’s progress has been significant. No longer isolated, he enjoys stimulating research-based programming like guest lectures, art therapy, writing workshops and movement classes. He has a new group of friends that he dines with, while enjoying the community’s brain healthy diet. No longer on a short-term basis, Dr. Barker has transitioned into a permanent member of the Standish community. “The staff and residents welcomed my dad with open arms from day one. His involvement with programming and seeing him socialize again, makes my heart sing. He and I are truly grateful for Senior Living Residences!”
– Jackie, Dr. Barker’s daughter*
Enhanced services following a hospitalization or rehab stay
Our communities may be the perfect next step to receive needed extra care and support before returning home to live independently. This added support is often the key to ensuring your loved one won’t end up back in the hospital or rehab facility.
We offer a holistic approach to sub-acute rehabilitation
Personal care, rehabilitation, a brain healthy diet, and socialization are all right here, without the look and feel of a medical setting. Our Resident Care Director develops a customized Wellness Care Plan for your loved one, that can include physical, occupational, or speech rehab services provided by local VNA services.
We handle the coordination of your services
- Wellness oversight and coordination of follow up care, including outstanding tests, discharge notes and post discharge physician visits
- Improved patient education on diagnoses
- In-house therapy and skilled care services paid by Medicare
- Complex cases with VNA services, such as oxygen and post-surgical wound care
- Medication reconciliation and comprehensive medication management
- Personal care support and immediate response to “unscheduled” needs
What’s included in a short-term respite stay?
- A fully furnished apartment with a 24-hour emergency response system, in-room internet, cableTV and phone
- The highest quality service during your stay with us, based on a customized Wellness Care Plan for your loved one’s personal needs and preferences
- Weekly housekeeping, daily bed making, and laundry services
- Two to three meals daily with menu choices from our award-winning Brain Healthy Cooking Program, served restaurant-style in our Dining Room, or with tray service to your loved one’s apartment when he or she isn’t feeling well
- Medication reminders and personal care assistance with dressing, bathing, evening care, and more
- Responsive 24-hour awake staff and overnight safety checks, as needed
- Access to all of our community’s amenities and EnrichedLIFE programs encompassing social, cultural, educational and wellness activities
- Access to all of our Compass Memory Support treatment programming, as needed. Learn more about Compass Memory Support
- Access to all of our ConnectedLIFE programming specifically designed for residents with early symptoms of memory loss, as needed. Learn more about ConnectedLIFE