Professional Dementia Trainings
The outward signs of memory impairment in older individuals are frequently missed by family members as well as strangers, or misinterpreted as psychiatric illness. The social stigma attached to memory loss causes most elders to avoid admitting to having dementia or even asking for help.
In 2014, Senior Living Residences was among the first in the U.S. to launch a Dementia Friendly Initiative, aimed at combating this stigma by helping people recognize the signs of memory loss and equipping them with helpful insight, strategies and tools to communicate effectively with someone living with memory loss. Since then, SLR has trained thousands of consumers and professionals, including healthcare and eldercare professionals, front-facing retail and banking staff, first responders and students.
We offer two CEU programs:
The Dementia Experience
This 1.5 hour program allows participants to experience the challenges facing a person living with dementia and encourages discussion about the stigma of dementia and how it impacts communities, families and individuals.
- Personally experience and describe the challenges facing a person living with dementia, their family and carers
- Understand and explain the impact dementia has on daily life, particularly how it affects nutrition, medication safety, and financial security
- Describe the loss that one with dementia experiences and how it contributes additional stress and frustration
1.5 CE Credits are available to Social Workers, Nurses, Case Managers and Emergency Services in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.
Understanding Dementia in the Real World
This 1 hour program provides an overview of what dementia is and is not, and teaches practical tools to assist with communicating with those who have dementia, as well as their families and care partners.
- Express a clear understanding of dementia, its causes and the stigma that affects the individuals living with memory loss
- Practice positive and appropriate communication approaches for working with people with dementia
- Identify practical tools and techniques to support people with dementia and their families
1 CE Credit is available to Social Workers, Nurses, Case Managers and Emergency Services in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.