Assisted Living For Cognitive Impairment, Alzheimer's and Dementia
Imagine your Mom or Dad living in a safe nurturing environment where he or she is not only well cared for but where the symptoms of his or her memory loss or Alzheimer's disease are truly being treated. This is what our state-of-the-art Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® offer you - a comprehensive, holistic treatment program for your loved one in a comfortable, dignified residential setting. Compass puts cutting-edge research into action through lifelong learning, social engagement, physical fitness, the arts, and our award-winning nutrition program.
In a Compass Memory Support Neighborhood® each resident's day is enriched by a "brain healthy" diet, a curriculum-based adult learning program, aerobic and strengthening exercise, and structured activities that provide your Mom or Dad with options for self-expression, spiritual growth and joy. You can feel good knowing that your loved one will be cared for in an intimate nurturing environment with a high staff-to-resident ratio and an exceptionally personal style of care.
Our affiliation with the Boston University Alzheimer’s Disease Center, provides key benefits for residents and their families, including special access to nationally acclaimed Alzheimer’s research professionals.
We are dedicated to helping families who have a loved one with memory loss whether or not you choose a Compass Memory Support Neighborhood®. Read more about our commitment to educating the public about Alzheimer's disease and check out our Alzheimer's Guide and AgeRight.org, resources we update on a regular basis with relevant information and tips for family caregivers.
In the meantime, learn more about the Compass Memory Support difference!
Innovative Treatment Program
In combination, the research-based programs available for residents living in our Compass Neighborhoods® work to treat the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's disease and potentially slow their progression.
- Award-Winning Brain Healthy Cooking Program
- Programs to reduce hospitalizations and the use of antipsychotic medications
- Resident Lifetime Achievement Award Program
- Structured enrichment activities (morning through evening, 7 days/week) including:
Learn more about our Compass Memory Support daily programs
Neighborhood Services & Amenities
With over 25 years of experience in Alzheimer's care, Senior Living Residences' communities offer families what you value most - care you can trust. We take a holistic approach that is focused on all of the needs that every person has - not just physical but emotional, spiritual, social and intellectual. Your loved one will be supported and nurtured in our intimate neighborhood with a high staff-to-resident ratio offering lots of personal attention and individualized care.
- Supportive secured neighborhood with specialized design features
- Full-time Compass Program Director (a Certified Dementia Practitioner)
- 24-hour Resident Care Associates specially trained in Alzheimer’s Care
- Overnight awake staff cares for residents who have trouble sleeping and conducts overnight safety checks for all residents
- Personalized Wellness Care Plan, developed with family and physician involvement, is monitored and revised to meet the changing needs of individuals with memory impairment
- Individual assistance with Daily Living Activities includes dressing, bathing, evening care, and reminders and escorts to meals and activities
- Self-Administered Medication Management Service with medication delivery from the pharmacy of your choice
- Three meals daily featuring selections from our award-winning Brain Healthy Cooking Program
- Daily bed making and weekly housekeeping
- Weekly personal laundry and linen service
A Specially Designed Neighborhood
In keeping with the latest research on environmental design for those with memory loss, Senior Living Residences' Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® promote resident independence, well-being and functioning at their highest level.
Each Compass Memory Support Neighborhood® Features:
- Unobtrusive security systems, unlocked doors to secure outdoor spaces, and close attention by staff allow residents to move about freely, enhancing feelings of autonomy.
- Natural sunlight streaming through windows, coupled with appropriately bright levels of interior lighting, help reduce anxiety and enhance feelings of well-being. Research suggests that such lighting also reduces sun-downing behaviors.
- Community spaces are intentionally small-scaled to offer an intimate and nurturing homelike environment with a strong staff-to-resident ratio which bolsters resident's confidence. Designated social and educational programming spaces offer areas to engage in meaningful interactions. Traditionally furnished living rooms evoke the warmth of a private home.
- Mealtimes are more successful and enjoyable in our cozy Country Kitchens featuring small dining room tables which help to foster conversation and allow staff to offer cueing during dining, as needed.
- Connecting with the natural world can provide a profound sense of peace and helps to ease agitation. Most of our Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® feature their own dedicated secure outdoor area - typically a courtyard with umbrella tables, raised planting beds and a walking path. Residents in communities that don't have a walk-out courtyard have access to the assisted living neighborhood's outdoor areas. Our associates make sure that residents benefit often from sunlight and fresh air.
- Contrasting colors on walls and doors helps residents recognize community areas and navigate their home with enhanced perception of their surroundings.
- In order to reduce confusion and anxiety, our Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® are kept free of clutter and obtrusive noises.
In the right environment with the right programs, coupled with a high level of personalized care and attention, seniors with varying stages of memory loss can live a more healthful, active, independent life. This is what Senior Living Residence's Compass Memory Support communities offer.
Your Loved One's Apartment
In keeping with the latest research on environmental design for those with memory loss, our Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® offer a secure, calm home where your Mom or Dad can feel comfortable and confident in his or her surroundings.
You have a choice of a private studio or companion suite, a bathroom with an easy walk-in shower, and an Emergency Response System. In some of our communities, our companion suites feature separate private bedrooms and bathrooms. Furnishing the apartment with your loved one's own furniture and treasured momentos creates a familiar home for your Mom or Dad.
All of our Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® are located on the first floor and have a lovely light-filled country kitchen dining space, a Reconnections Learning Center, an activity space where we hold our adult learning program and other group activities, and easy access to a secure outdoor area with patio and meditative walking paths.
Supervised Outings in our Limo Bus
For people with memory loss staying connected to the world is important. That's why your loved one will enjoy regular outings - both stimulating and relaxing - courtesy of our Limo Bus.
- Sightseeing tours
- Trips to local parks for picnics and walks
- Dining and shopping excursions
- And more!
Pharmacist Medications Assessment
When you opt into our Medication Assessment Program prior to moving into our community you will meet personally with an experienced clinical pharmacist who provides a thorough evaluation of all prescription and over-the-counter medications your loved one is taking. The pharmacist will provide a summary report with personalized medication charts that identifies potential medication conflicts and potential duplicate medications prescribed by different doctors as well as a list of suggested questions that you may want to pose to your own doctors.
Reducing Reliance on Medications
Our approach is to intimately get to know your loved one as an individual - his or her personality, past profession and lifestyle, and preferences for a daily routine. With this knowledge we can treat the symptoms of your loved one's disease with unique programming and redirection, rather than relying on medication.
When new residents move into our community, we work with their doctors to establish a plan for weaning them off antipsychotic medications whenever possible. When behavioral challenges arise, our caregivers are trained in gentle techniques to redirect and comfort residents in ways that don't involve medications. This is different from other communities, where medications are often used as interventions. The American Healthcare Association has identified the reduction of antipsychotic medications as a priority. We are also committed to this goal.
Additional Optional Services
- Additional personal care services to meet changing needs
- Nurse-Administered Medication Services available on a limited basis
- Assistance with nutrition and pureed diets
- Continence support program
- Additional housekeeping and laundry services as needed
- Full Service Salon offering cut, color, styling and manicures, as well as barber services for men, managed by professional hair stylists and beauticians
- Guest meals and catering for special occasion family dinners in our private dining room
When you visit please ask about our additional available optional services.
Short-Term Stays & Respite Care
Our flexible Respite Care and Short-Term Stays give family caregivers a break while compassionate, trained professionals take care of your loved one. Unlike most memory care communities, we do not require a minimum stay, making this option work for your schedule. Families turn to us during vacations, business travel, to help their loved one transition from the hospital or skilled nursing rehabilitation center, or as a "trial stay" when considering one of our Compass communities. Learn more about our Respite Care and Short-Term Stay options.
Paying for Memory Support Assisted Living
Our Compass Memory Support Neighborhoods® offer several apartment options, including shared suites, and an array of services to meet individual needs and preferences at a monthly rental rate. Unlike many other memory care assisted living communities, our personal care is included in that rate, so you won't be surprised when you see your monthly bill.
Many families have questions about how to pay for memory support assisted living. We offer a number of resources to help you navigate your way including answers to your frequently asked finance questions, checklist to help you get the right information when touring an assisted living community, and our widely used Cost of Living Expense Calculator. Browse our Paying for Assisted Living section for more information.