Independent Senior Living
Independent Living at Senior Living Residences appeals to seniors who prefer to live on their own in an apartment, but who want the conveniences of living within a supportive community that provides services and amenities such as housekeeping, dining and 24-hour care staff. Living in a senior community also removes the hassles of home maintenance, such as shoveling your car out in the winter, and contracting someone to mow the lawn in the summer. You'll have all the privacy you want with all the advantages of residing within a vibrant social environment with access to a la carte services in the future, should you need them.
Our communities offer you choices, from a selection of apartment floor plans to a variety of dining options and services to meet your wellness needs. We also provide a wide array of social, recreational and enrichment programs with a lively schedule of activities, from computer and exercise classes to museum and theater outings to shopping and sightseeing excursions.
We offer two types of independent senior living. Our Cape Cod and Malden communities offer what is known as "True Independent Living", meaning residents rent their apartment, but dining and specialized daily programming are not included with your monthly rent. Some of the programs and services that these communities offer, such as van transportation, linen service, housekeeping and meals, may be available to you at an additional charge. Our independent senior communities in Cambridge, Concord and Westfield offer "Independent Senior Living with Services". Here, a resident's monthly rent includes access to our EnrichedLIFE programming and some meals, and other services may be included. Please check with the community's Executive Director to see which of the following services and amenities are included:
Our Independent Living Apartments Feature:
- Full kitchen equipped with wood cabinets, refrigerator, oven range with hood, and pantry
- Bathroom with walk-in shower
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Coat closet, linen closet and walk-in closet in the bedroom
- Individually controlled heating system
- Apartment maintenance and utilities
- Emergency response system
- Wired for cable TV, internet and phone
- Handicapped accessible apartments available
- Laundry facilities on each floor
- Depending on the community you choose, we may offer studio, one bedroom and two bedroom apartment options
Stop by the dining room and discover a delicious array of gourmet meals prepared morning, noon and night by our highly experienced Executive Chefs. An added bonus is our emphasis on incorporating delicious taste-tested brain healthy recipes into our menu choices. Our award-winning Brain Healthy Cooking Program is based on the latest research into the importance of diet in boosting brain health.
Guest meals and catering for special dinners and celebrations in our private dining room may be available; check with the community's Executive Director.
Recreation & Relaxation
Pursue some quality "me" time, and take advantage of the many amenities our communities offer. Our buildings have all been designed to encourage social gatherings. Depending upon where you visit, you may find:
- Courtyard with spacious patio, gazebo and mature plantings where we host our summer concert series
- Community Garden with raised planting beds
- Paved walking path around our building
- Hiking trail through adjacent conservation land
- Screened porch overlooking the courtyard
- Country Kitchens for bookclubs, the morning newspaper and afternoon tea
- A Media Room and a Library with a computer that you can use
- A private dining room seating 12 comfortably that you can book for special dinners and celebrations with your family and friends (we can provide the catering)
- Our full service salon offers cut, color, styling and manicures, as well as barber services for men, managed by a professional hair stylist
- Fitness Room with scheduled exercise classes
When You Don't Feel Like Driving
Take advantage of our Limo Bus which provides regularly scheduled transportation to:
- Religious services
- Sightseeing tours and cultural events
- Local restaurants
- And more!
Entertainment & Enrichment
If you decide to make one of our vibrant communities your new home, ask about our EnrichedLIFE experiences and adventures. From art and music to adult education to outdoor pursuits, the possibilities are endless:
- Continuing education, poetry, art, fitness programs and social events
- Visiting musicians, performance artists and lecturers that entertain and enrich
- Bookclubs, technology and baking classes
- Art workshops to pursue your painting, sculpting and ceramic passions
- Fitness areas that include cardio and strength equipment
- Movie showings, happy hours, and so much more
Wellness & Lifestyle Services
In our Independent Living communities these services may be included in your monthly rent, or you may be able to pay for them separately (please ask when you tour!):
- Weekly linen service
- Weekly housekeeping
- Two or three meals daily
- Wellness services such as semi-annual health assessments by our Nurse
Most communities also offer:
- Convenient services can be arranged, such as medication delivery from the pharmacy of your choice, dry cleaning and newspaper delivery
- Personal laundry service and additional housekeeping are available, as requested
- We offer catering for special occasion family dinners and parties in our private dining room
- A full service salon for cuts, color, styling and manicures, as well as barber services for men, managed by professional hair stylists and beauticians
Healthcare Providers On-Site
We welcome and work with all local healthcare professionals and agencies to offer you an added layer of wellness and healthcare services, which can often be conveniently delivered to you in the privacy of your own apartment. We also encourage you to maintain your relationships with your own physicians and we can help to arrange transportation to your doctors' visits.
Our senior communities have strong relationships with a variety of local healthcare providers who visit residents regularly, including:
- Local Physicians and Nurse Practitioners who conduct on-site "house calls"
- Temporary Agency Skilled Nursing (VNAs) which can provide all sorts of medical care on-site such as post-surgical wound care
- Podiatry, and Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies
Please ask the community's Executive Director for a list of local providers.
Paying for Independent Living
Our communities are monthly rentals offering a range of services to meet your individual needs and preferences. Specific monthly rates are based on the community, apartment type and size, and the service options you choose.
We know that you may have concerns about finances. Third-party financial options can provide you with the flexibility to make a move to senior housing comfortably and within your means. As a start, please review the Financial Options section of our web site. Our Executive Directors will also help you sort out the financial issues involved in making a move.